Tom Murphy provides consulting and inspection services to the floor coating industry; and is an active participant in driving industry standards and training through international associations.
He has a Masters in Biochemistry (Creighton University) and Masters of Business Administration (Keller Graduate School of Business Management). While at Sherwin-Williams (1994-2013) he was vice president of marketing for the General Polymers Brand of seamless flooring products and concrete repair materials.
He worked with the Society of Protective Coatings (SSPC) to establish the industry’s third-party training and certification for installation and inspection of seamless floor coatings (SSPC C10/SSPC C11). He also chairs and participates on several committees associated with the building guides and standards for concrete repair, surface preparation, and protection, including:
- SSPC Standards Review Board (auxiliary member);
- SSPC/NACE/ICRI Joint Technical Report: “Design, Installation, and Maintenance of Protective Polymer Flooring Systems for Concrete”;
- SSPC/NACE Joint Surface Preparation Standard: “Surface Preparation of Concrete”;
- SSPC “Guide to Evaluation of Moisture in Concrete Floors”;
- SSPC texture guide: “Concrete Coating Texture Standard”;
- SSPC Concrete Floor Coating Guide; and
- SSPC Concrete Coating Training and Certification Program Development.
Tom is a founding member of Resin Flooring International, an international organization whose goal is to raise the quality of seamless flooring through trade training and licensing. This is an umbrella organization promoting existing resources throughout the world, while driving the development and implementation of world class training, certification and standards.